Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 12:20:43 -0800
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem disappeared following 4.2 -> 4.7 upgrade

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:52:30PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <20030202191806.GA14696@kearneys.ca>, Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca> typed:
> > No /dev/ad5s1, etc., and `mount /dev/ad5s1 /home` produces only:
> >
> >    mount: /dev/ad5s1: No such file or directory
> >
> > Do I need to make device nodes for the ad5s1 partition?  I'm not sure how,
> > if so.
>
> Yes, you need to make device nodes. Try:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ./MAKEDEV ad5s1c
> 	Or s1a, or whatever you were using.

Thanks Mike;

`/dev/MAKEDEV ad5` made all of the nodes, and I was able to mount
/dev/ad5s1e, and relieve my panic ;).

What if this system were an all-IDE system?  I was planning to update
one soon, and will no doubt run into this problem.  The root
filesystem device node will change names, and according to this
thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2388792+2394647+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-questions/20030112.freebsd-questions

even if I anticipate what the new name will be (how do I do that,
anyways?), updating /etc/fstab before rebooting with the new binaries
won't help.  It doesn't look like anyone followed up on that thread,
but maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria.

The note in /usr/src/UPDATING on this new ata code is quite sparse,
given what people may unexpectedly run into when updating on IDE
systems.  That should probably be fixed to include the requirement of
doing not only `MAKEDEV all`, but also `MAKEDEV <your device>` to
create partition nodes, and whatever needs to be done for booting onto
the newly named partitions, if the / is on one of them.

Best regards,

Brent