Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Turnwald <r.turnwald@choin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp -s only for one ed-interface

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Robert Turnwald wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD-people,
>
> on a Linux-system there is a -i option for the "arp"-command. With
> this option I can specify an interface, e. g.
> # arp -i eth0 <IP> <MAC> pub
>
> How can I do this with FreeBSD?

You shouldn't need to; the IP address will indicate the interface.
Although this is ARP, it shouldn't matter what interface it's attached to.

You shouldn't have to use arp, what do you need it for?

> my problem:
> I have to route a few IPs to an internal network. The router has to know
> which packets he has  to route, so I use the "arp" command.

> 1. route add -host <IPintern> -interface ed1
> 2. # arp -s <IPintern> <MACed0> pub

This is extraneous, the routing system will find it automatically.
Especially the ether addr of the local interface!  And why would you want
to advertise one NIC's ether addr on a separate net?  That would be
seriously confusing to everyone.