Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:27:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        corecode@corecode.ath.cx
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.prog.mk doesn't link c++ programs correctly?

In message: <20020330081410.5af6f2da.corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
            "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx> writes:
: hi hackers!
:
: i'm in progress in writing a c++ program utilizing bsd.prog.mk
:
: i wondered why my programs won't link correctly when i don't add a line
: LDFLAGS=-lstdc++
: no i was trying out gcc30 (whoa, slow!) and it didn't want to link with
: or without the above line.
:
: it seems c++ programs need to be linked via g++ (or c++).
: after delting the above line and inserting a
: CC=${CXX}
: everything works fine, but that's not nice, of course.
:
: is there any specific reason why linking is done with ${CC}?
: there should be a way to tell that one needs ${CXX} for linkage.

I think that it is very difficult to tell if a program is a C++
program easily, so the CC hack is what is generally used.

Warner