Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:27:18 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for FILE problems (was Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 05:20:51PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> It avoids the current problem:
> - RELENG_4 bumped from 3.0 to 4.0
> - this forced a premature 4.0->5.0 bump in -current

Actually "NO".  I bumped libc.so because Garret said he had changes ready
for libc, but was waiting for someone to bump the shared version number.

> - we missed our chance for major changes. (!!!)

In the past, once it was bumped, incompatable changes to libc.so were
fair game for -CURRENT.

> If we had taken -current to 500, we could go to 501, 502, etc as
> required to stop killing our developers, and prior to entering 5.0-BETA we
> if RELENG_4 bumps again).

/me wonders if we'll also do something about all the other things we do
that kills our developers in -current......

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX