Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:15:27 +0200
From:      Daniel <bdaniel7@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:02:20 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> > would not these things be worthy of implementing in FreeBSD? this way
> > other big companies would use it, pay you guys for it and FreeBSD will
> > grow stronger...
>
> There are other obstacles to deployment of FreeBSD in large
> organizations.  The main one is a lack of formal, guaranteed support.
> This afflicts Linux, also, to some extent, depending on the
> distribution.  Even for "supported" Linux distributions, the support is
> often very limited in comparison to that available for systems such as
> Solaris, Windows, or even Mac OS X.
>
> > making a good OS that runs on cheap, low-end machines is nice, but the
> > real money come from companies...
>
> The problem is that the largest companies need more than just a
> technically superior operating system.  That's why they are still buying
> Solaris and Windows.

well, if a big company pays for support, those money would allow
FreeBSD to have some more people (developers or not) focus on giving
the support (fixing/answering) while the developers do their job...i
believe this is quite natural course of action

the reason for the above comments is that i think FreeBSD should come
out in light and become more popular, not only in sys admin world,
maybe just like Linux; yes, we know that it is used in many critical
systems, that it is there, serving, provinding certainty; true,
FreeBSD is like "real things just happen, the press doesn't have to
talk about it".

Dan