Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:52:04 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unix vs Windows...slightly disappointing results...

I'm just curious about something, that may (or may not) be logically
explained...

MP3 encoding.

I downloaded a piece of software for my WinNT machine last night to do
Ripping and Encoding, since I had a co-worker at work bragging about how
fast he could rip/encode a CD.

FreeBSD is on a PII-266, using a couple of different encoders (most
recent: bladeenc), its takes ~20min per track, not including RIP time.

WinNT 4.0 Workstation, on a Pentium 166...it takes ~5 minutes to RIP *and*
encode that same track, including what the software calls "normalizing".

Both are idle machines whil ethis is happening...

Why does it take a quarter of the time under WinNT?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org