Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:16:21 +0200
From:      Khamba Staring <purrcat@edoropolis.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, XFree 4.0.1, AGP and Matrox G400 --> NEED FBSD 5.x?!

> I'm trying to think what else may be problematic;
>
> What does a "kldstat" show?
> zorak# kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1    7 0xc0100000 2739f8   kernel
>  2    1 0xc0b31000 2000     green_saver.ko
>  3    1 0xc0b40000 10000    mga.ko (loading this module automagically
>  4    1 0xc0b51000 d000     drm.ko  causes the drm.ko to register itself)

Isn't the agp kernel module needed ?!

> "sysctl -a" should list a bunch of stuff starting with "dri.?..."
>
> Are you starting X as root or as a normal user?  The dri has some simple
> permision enforcements that keep any account but the one that is running
> "X" from doing accelerated work.  Also, on and off I've seen that the root
> user be unable run anything accelerated.
>
> Is there a "/dev/dri/card0" device node?
> Check dmesg and make sure nothing is sharing IRQ's with the MGA card.
>
> Is the DRI branch you are using capable of running the card without the
> dri extensions?

Argh! Forgot all about the irq's.. Never thought my NCR SCSI card would
steal irq11..

The permissions were set correctly (in the /etc/X11/XF86Config, if that's
what you mean). Now that the mga module doesn't confuse the G400 with
my NCR card anymore, it is recognized correctly:

-- (dmesg output)
drm0: <Matrox MGA G400 AGP graphics accelerator> mem 0xdf000000-0xdf7fffff,0xdf8
00000-0xdf803fff,0xe6000000-0xe7ffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
info: [drm] AGP at 0xe0000000 64MB
info: [drm] Initialized mga 1.0.0 19991213 on minor 0
-- (end output)

sysctl also gives the dri output and /var/log/XFree86.0.log doesn't give
any drm errors anymore!
X did work correctly without DRI, but OpenGL accelleration only occurs
when DRI is being used in XF4.0.1 .. Anyway, Xlockmore works smoothly
accellerated (geez, I'm impressed by the speed!), but Blender still doesn't
run correctly.. I'll report this to the Blender crew soon; I'm fairly
certain this isn't an XFree or FreeBSD problem..

Anyway; thanks for all your time patiently answering my posts and getting
things working!

I've got one question though; where did you come across all this information?
Are you a developer or are there really some docs on how to get this
working under FreeBSD..?

Kind regards,

-- Khamba Staring