Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:41:55 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        "Majmundar, Sam" <smajmund@visa.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't boot - even fixit did not help !!!

On Mon, Jun 02, 1997 at 10:41:44AM -0700, Majmundar, Sam wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a duel boot Pentium with FreeBSD on 3G hard disk on SCSI id 1 and
> NT on another 3G hard disk on SCSI ID 0. I usually changed primary boot
> device and it worked fine for almost 6 months. Suddenly I can not boot
> off

How does it manifest, the 'can not boot' ?
What is the symptom?
Does it not show the Boot: prompt?
Does it not find the kernel?
fsck failure?
Did you overwrite the masterboot record by some Win95 installation?

> of the FreeBSD (I guess I have 2.x). I tried to use "fixit.flp" image,
> but when
> the floppy is mounted, all that I have is "find" command in /mnt2. There
> is
> no df, du or even mount. How can I salvage my hard disk?

Everything you need for fixing should be there if you use the boot.flp->
fixit.flp procedure correctly.

After you have booted the boot.flp and inserted the fixit.flp
you should do a disklabel -r wd0 (sd0, or whatever your system drive is)
if you not already know the partitions and then do a fsck on the
raw partitions. You then can proceed mounting your root disk to /mnt
(or was it mnt1) and do the necessary repair work.