Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:13:35 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015362815.f14d46@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making suggestions

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015338873.4aa803@mired.org> writes:
> I'm afraid that I was probably the guilty reply-er.  Not long before
> that a committer told me that he'd rather see the code changed than
> explain some "feature" in the man page I had PR'd.  I explained why I
> had written the PR on the man page rather than the program:  "... I
> assume that no-patch design enhancement PRs are generally unwelcome and
> are likely to be a waste of my and others' time."  He replied "Indeed."
> It's clear now that I took his reply too seriously.  (I hope.)  Sorry.

Yes, but....

Let me do some air-clearing.

A PR with a patch is easy for a committer to deal with, assuming it's
in part of the repository they can commit to. You examine the patch,
decide whether or not it's appropriate, if it is you make sure it
works, tweaking as necessary for style(9) conformance and similar
things. Then you commit it. If a PR doesn't have a patch, the person
doing something with it has to figure out how to make it happen, which
is a different kind of task entirely.

That doesn't mean that all PRs without patches are ignored. Some
committers may ignore them. Others don't. In particular, if you've got
an easily reproducible panic and can post stack traces from a kernel
with symbols, you're liable to get a patch to test relatively soon.

Finally, even if no committer ever looks at it, people pop up at
random intervals on various lists - including -questions - asking "How
can I contribute to the project." The standard answer is that they
should go through the PR database, and look for things that they can
fix. Since it's trivial to get a list of open PR's you submitted, you
can answer such a question with "Here are the URL's to things I'd like
to see added. Why don't you choose one or more, and then reply to them
with patches that implement them?".

	<mike