Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:58:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Chris Chekay <sycholic71@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP site problems

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 06:01:05PM -0400, Chris Chekay wrote:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.4-release
> it seems that the whole packages distribution is offline.  I have tried
> all of the mirrors shown in /stand/sysinstall and none work... is it just
> temporarily down or permanately? Im just wondering cuz nothing on the freebsd
> home web page mentions there being anything wrong....

Packages from older releases have been removed from the ftp sites to
make room for the new packages for 4.7-RELEASE.  The default package
compression has also been changed from gzip to bzip2, which means that
if you have an older version of pkg_add it's going to be mystified by
recently built packages.  Your choices now are

    .../ports/i386/packages-4.6-release
    .../ports/i386/packages-4.6.1-release
    .../ports/i386/packages-4.6.2-release

which should all work on any system from the 4.x series so long as you
fulfil all the dependencies.  Use the PACKAGESITE environment variable
to cause pkg_add(1) to search one of the alternate directories.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow