Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 08:19:43 PDT
From:      John Uhlig <juhlig@parc.com>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: kmem_malloc crashes running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5

Well, Don Bowman was very helpful in suggesting some kernel parameters.
Unfortunately, they
did not work for us. If we had the time to experiment with more
settings, perhaps we would have
been able to find the right combination. Since we do not have that time
due to our schedule I was
forced to "fix" the problem by setting "hw.physmem=2G" in
/boot/loader.conf (thanks again to Don).
It ran for over 8 hours while I ran multiple scripts copying data from
multiple systems to it and
while continuously running the /etc/periodic/security scripts on it. All
previous tests crashed the
server (usually within 20 minutes).

I am hoping that this issue will be resolved by the developers in the
future as we would like to be
able to use the full complement of available memory (4GB).

thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry.

John Uhlig.