Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:58:28 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mtm@identd.net
Subject:   Re: RCng/NTP Catch-22

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 04:51:04PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20041021221715.GA4730@odin.ac.hmc.edu>
>             Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
> : On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:06:23PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > In message: <20041021152920.GB1811@rogue.acs.lan>
> : >             Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net> writes:
> : > : devfs can't be
> : > : run before NETWORKING because it depends on at least one binary in
> : > : /usr/sbin. See my patch and reply to Andre.
> : >=20
> : > which one?  devfs is in /sbin.
> :=20
> : It looks like chown.  That one always suprises me even though I've hit
> : it a number of times.  I think this is because you can't safely do
> : anything involving user names before you have working directory services
> : and you can't be sure you have those before you have user.  Hmm, I
> : wonder what happens if you try to use chown when you have nss configured
> : to use a directory, but don't have /usr mountd.
>=20
> Maybe that's why the LOGIN thing was there before :-(

mountcritremote should be sufficent.  LOGIN is way later then needed.

A quick test on a 6.x machine with some users in /etc/password and some
in NIS indicates that chown behaves reasionably in single user mode
without /usr mounted.  I could change a file to operator since it's
in /etc/passwd, but not to brooks since I'm only in the NIS database.  I
got an invalid argument error when I tried.

-- Brooks

--=20

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--