Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:23:39 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kmacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-sun4v@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sun4v arch

--0UhZIN3Sa23/ILEd

On 2008-Aug-23 22:40:55 -0500, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
>My understanding is the the port is in a pre-alpha state due to unfinished
>work in the kernel, so expecting there to be any userbase is premature.

Except that the wiki gives a far more optimistic picture.

>All of our 'new' architectures which are in this state have so few non-
>developer users that there is hardly any reason to submit PRs.  AFAICT
>the active developers already know what's missing :-)

That makes it very difficult for someone outside that group to come up
to speed.  I can't find anything in the freebsd-sun4v archvies.  I was
hoping that there would be a list somewhere of what state various
subsystems were in and what remained to be done.  wiki.freebsd.org
sounds like the ideal place for this.

On 2008-Aug-23 20:39:29 -0700, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>Maybe some time should be spent looking at stuff from NetBSD to see
>whether or not they've solved some already critical porting pieces
>that FreeBSD lacks in this architecture?

I can't find anything that suggests NetBSD runs on sun4v.  Their sparc64
port only covers the US-I/II families and there's no mention of sun4v.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--0UhZIN3Sa23/ILEd

--0UhZIN3Sa23/ILEd--