Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:57:34 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Ulrich_Gruenebaum\"" <grueneba@luzi.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Vinum setup questions

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 03:00:47PM +0100, Ulrich_Gruenebaum" wrote:

[snip]

> By the way, is there a way to get vinum's own
> version number out of vinum? This would be helpful
> for reference purposes as in this text.

Since it is a kernel module, 'uname -a' should be good.

[snip]

> In step 4: vinum(8) and vinum(4) tell to run
>   "newfs" on the *raw* volume device,
>   e.g. "/dev/vinum/rmirror". There was no such
>   device in my case, nor could I find any
>   directory named "/dev/rvinum" (as in the example
>   directory listing in vinum(4), section OBJECT
>   NAMING), instead the only device I found was
>   "/dev/vinum/mirror". I tried a "newfs" command
>   on it and it seems to work. Nevertheless, I
>   don't know what happend exactly doing so and I
>   don't feel very well with this. It would be
>   helpful if vinum itself could list the created
>   volume device name(s) with the "list" command.

There is no mention of using raw (character devices) in my
manpages. You did say it was 4.1.1, right? There are no longer block
devices in FreeBSD. All of the vinum objects are now raw devices and
my docs have fixed the references,

> Some suggested man page improvements:
>
> - I didn't find a notice, what the device names of
> the volumes are, which I just created, i.e. on
> which device I had to run "newfs" and which to
> mount finally.  It seems that for the mirror
> example a device "/dev/vinum/mirror" was
> created. This could be explained in more detail
> and the device names perhaps be listed in
> section FILES in vinum(8).

Again, from my vinum(4),

     o   Unlike UNIX drives, vinum volumes are not subdivided into partitions,
         and thus do not contain a disk label.  Unfortunately, this confuses a
         number of utilities, notably newfs, which normally tries to interpret
         the last letter of a vinum volume name as a partition identifier.  If
         you use a volume name which does not end in the letters a to c, you
         must use the -v flag to newfs in order to tell it to ignore this con-
         vention.

> - The default location for the vinum logfile
> (vinum(8), section "LOG FILE") seems to be
> /var/log/vinum_history, not /var/tmp/... . The
> logfile should also be mentioned in vinum(8),
> section FILES.

Oops, Greg, this is confused a bit in my docs too. In "LOG FILE" on
vinum(8),

  LOG FILE
       vinum maintains a log file, by default /var/tmp/vinum_history, in which
       it keeps track of the commands issued to vinum. You can override the name
       of this file by setting the environment variable VINUM_HISTORY to the
       name of the file.

But then farther down,

  ENVIRONMENT

       VINUM_HISTORY The name of the log file, by default /var/log/vinum_histo-
               ry.