Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:40:49 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Falco Krepel <krepel@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New Protocol over Ethernet

Falco Krepel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to implement my own protocol on top of ethernet. This protocol
> should should not influence other protocols running on the system. So I
> must distinguish my own frames from other frames.
>
> Because this is my first time to implement such a protocol on FreeBSD I
> am not sure how I can do this. I have read some documentation about
> interprocess communication within FreeBSD, the TCP/IP illustrated book,
> ... Furthermore I study the BSD source code around network
> communication. But until now it is not clarify how I can do this in the
> best way.
>
> [...]
>
> 2. I attach direct to the ethernet interface. This means I must add a
> new protocol class to get only my own frames. Is that right?

Yes, and this would be the "best" way to do this.  Preferrably, you
would add the middle layer interfaces, using the network interface
drivers on the bottom and the socket layer on the top; your protocol
would be analagous to IPv4 and IPv6.

/usr/src/sys/net* are examples of existing protocols.  inet and inet6 are
the most developed, of course.