Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:36:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Woody Carey <wcarey@cs.uoregon.edu>
To:        Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Freeware]

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Don Wilde wrote:

> I just got this in response to my 'Challenge' posted in various places. Sounds
> like SPEC might be open to working with us. In looking over the solution
> provided by Novell, it seems that what they did to achieve that number was to
> open up massive bandwidth in hardware. I don't have any systems that have 5 PCI
> slots for 100Base-T ethernet cards, and I don't have any P-][ 300Mhz chips
> laying around. SCSI-3 we can do, fast-wide disks ditto. Do we have Fibre Channel
> or SSC boards available to us? Is ATM stable yet?
>
> It'd be interesting to see how close we can get to that with less hardware,
> playing the same game that the other vendors do [RELEASE: FreeBSD/Apache
> Achieves 75% of Novell's SPECweb96 performance with 2/3 the Processor Speed!!!].
> Alternatively, presenting a real-world system would be more valuable to real
> users. Comments?
>

>From what I understand about benchmarks, most vendors do funky tuning to
beat their competitors on a benchmark that may or may not be indicative of
anything at all.  Basically, benchmarking with this sort of nonsense is
agreeing to play a dirty political game and and a pointless, losing
battle.  Why don't we not go there, and save ourselves the trouble of
discovering the error of our ways after the fact?