Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2018 23:14:07 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        clutton <clutton@zoho.com>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on the Lenovo Thinkpad T470s (success)

On 7. Jan 2018, at 22:40, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.n=
et> wrote:

>>=20
>> On 7. Jan 2018, at 21:32, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmg=
r.net> wrote:
>>=20

g (usually I'm not using a dock though). This means: Mouse, Keyboard can be p=
lugged/unplugged as many time as I want at any point, while displays connect=
ed over display port only work when connected before starting X (and they do=
n't disappear after disconnecting). Note that stopping X seems to fix this (=
so no reboot required), but I don't have the docking station myself (this is=
 the Ultra Dock Pro or something - the one that connects at the bottom of th=
e laptop).
oned interfaces (which isn't something I wouldn't expect I have to do, but i=
n this case I had to).
>>>=20
>>> Did you have a
>>>   wlans_iwm0=3D"wlan0"
>>> in /etc/rc.conf?  =20
>>> I do not know or see why putting iwm0 in cloned would do much of anythin=
>>> for a wlan device.
>>>=20
>>> Also note that is wlans as in plural, not wlan_iwm0.  A mistake I
>>> often make from finger memory.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I have
>>=20
>> wlans_iwm0=3D"wlan0"
>> ifconfig_wlan0=3D"WPA DHCP country de"
> I use just simply:
> ifconfig_wlan0=3D"WPA SYNCDHCP"
>=20
> I think without the SYNC you are not waiting for wpa to come up?

I works ok, if I really wanted to wait for getting an IP that would make sen=
se, yes.

> I do not know of the /etc/rc.d/* stuff is prepared to deal with
> your "country de" either.
>=20

It is, as country DE shows up in ifconfig after boot and it can actually ass=
ociate (which it couldn't before adding the country, probably the channel wa=
s out of range with default settings).

>>=20
>> in rc.conf. Without adding
>>=20
>> cloned_interfaces=3D"iwm0"
>>=20
>> wlan0 never shows up in ifconfig and wpa_supplicant never starts (that's c=
urrent r326912, setup like described in my blog post).
>>=20
>> I just double checked to confirm the behavior.
>=20
> Something is broken some place.
>=20

Well, if I actually add

if_iwm_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm3160fw_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm7260fw_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm7265Dfw_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm7265fw_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm8000Cfw_load=3D"YES"
if_iwm8265fw_load=3D"YES"

to /boot/loader.conf (like documented in the man page ^_^), it works without=
 adding iwm0 to cloned_interfaces. Funny how I forgot to do that and how clo=
ned_interfaces just did the right thing by loading the correct modules. Sorr=
y for creating confusion.

-m

>> Best,
>> Michael