Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:19:12 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

--------------enig3C25793F9E69EEADB91BC045

PJ wrote:
> Is there any definitive install guide for flashplugin.
> I was able to install it on a 7.2 64bit machine and then on an i386 but=

> somehow it has morphed into god-knows-what and no longer works.

This is what I did for a 7.2 box.  Note that there are compatibility
issues between new versions of Linux emulation and older versions of=20
FreeBSD, so don't expect this to work with anything older.

* Make a note of all the linux-emulated software you have installed
  for later reference:

     # pkg_info -orx linux > linux-stuff

  We save the package origins in particular, because this procedure=20
  will result in a name change for most linux packages.

* Delete everything linux related

     # pkg_delete -rx linux

* Check and clean out /compat/linux -- there shouldn't be any interesting=

  files left in this directory after the above step.  As I recall, when I=

  did this, there was a ldconfig.hints file (which would be regenerated o=
  demand), and some Acrobat related stuff under /compat/linux/home/matthe=
  which I didn't care about, and which shouldn't have been there anyhow.

     # cd /compat/linux
     # find . -type f -ls
     # rm -rf *

* Change the default Linux kernel version for emulation:

     # sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=3D2.6.16

  Also add "compat.linux.osrelease=3D2.6.16" to /etc/sysctl.conf so it
  gets reset on reboots.

* Tell the ports system we want to use Fedora-10 as the Linux base by add=
ing

     OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=3D       f10
     OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=3D   f10

   to /etc/make.conf.

* Now install www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 from ports -- this should have =
all
  of the following as dependencies (modulo any version updates that may h=
ave
  happened since writing this):

     % pkg_info -r linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32
     Information for linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32:

     Depends on:
     Dependency: linux_base-f10-10_2
     Dependency: linux-f10-openssl-0.9.8g
     Dependency: linux-f10-openldap-2.4.12_1
     Dependency: linux-f10-libssh2-0.18
     Dependency: linux-f10-cyrus-sasl2-2.1.22
     Dependency: linux-f10-curl-7.19.4_4
     Dependency: linux-f10-nspr-4.7.4
     Dependency: linux-f10-sqlite3-3.5.9_1
     Dependency: linux-f10-nss-3.12.2.0

  if that isn't the case and you aren't getting the f10 flavour of those
  ports, double check everything you've done so far for errors, and try a=
gain
  from the top.

* Add nspluginwrapper to enable Firefox to load the flash add-on:

     # portinstall www/nspluginwrapper

  (This has a dependency list as long as your arm, so it might take some
  time...)

  Following the install instructions for the nspluginwrapper package (whi=
ch
  you can redisplay by "pkg_info -Dx nspluginwrapper")  install whatever =
globally
  available plugins there are by running this as root:

     # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

  This puts plugins into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ which Firefox sh=
ould
  read.  Alternatively, install the plugins locally to your own user acco=
unt
  by running that command under your own UID:

     % nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

* Finally, fire up Firefox and check that it has loaded the flash plugin =
by
  typing 'about:plugins' into the URL bar.  Find a site with flash conten=
t[*],
  and enjoy.

* Check the list you made at the first step, and reinstall any other linu=
  applications you want. =20

So far I've found flash10 under Fedora10 to be pretty stable and inoffens=
ive
on FreeBSD 7.2.  You even get the sound track on Flash movies.  However I=
'm
still running Firefox with xpi-flashblock-1.5.11.2 and xpi-noscript-1.9.3=
=2E3 on general principles

Adobe Acrobat isn't working, but I think that's more to do with the map_a=
t_zero stuff introduced in the last security advisory.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] I think there are one or two flash based things at YouTube.com

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW