Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:35:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), current@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, rjesup@wgate.com
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

It seems Peter Wemm wrote:
> Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > It seems Peter Wemm wrote:
> > >
> > > Soren, can you retest a buildworld with the currently committed kernel
> > > with no other changes?  Let us see if the forward_signal() stuff is the
> > > culprit, and if not, try adding just the i386/i386/machdep.c patch to HLT
> > > the idle CPU.  (if *that* makes a difference then we have got trouble!)
> >
> > It seems that the HLT thing is exactly the patch that makes it work!
> >
> > So we have trouble, I said that all along .5 :)
>
> So, the difference between -current working for you or not is this:

[diff snipped]

> ??  No other changes?

I need the FULL change to machdep.c and apparently the chagne to subr_prf.c
is needed too, at least it hasnt broke yet with that in place too, not
that I can see why it matters though.

The new diff to machdep.c that jhb made yesterday also causes trouble.

> This is bad news..  This means we have races somewhere, or some other badness.

That is what I've been harping about for months...

What strikes me here as a very serious problem is that the SMPng developers
has told me over and over that it works fine for them on -current, but
when we get to the matter after months of frustration, it suddenly appears
that they are not running the same -current as the rest of us.

Now guys, excuse my language, but that *sucks* bigtime.

However I'm still running tests here, and I'm offering to test every patch
you can come up with to help locate the problem, just as always...

-Søren