Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:46:22 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions....

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 03:20:04PM -0600, Brett Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday a notice appeared on Freshmeat about an OS chart.  The goal of
> said chart was to compare and contrast different OS's.  I went and looked

> ----------------------FreeBSD portion of the chart---------------------
>
> Release				2.2.7
> Based on			BSD-4.4
> Date of release			July 28, 1998
>
> Cost
> ------
> Cost				$39.95  (for any number of users)

The cost of the OS is free.  Getting the Walnut Creek CDs of FreeBSD
costs $39.95.

> Installation
> ------------
> Native package format		pkg_add (in tgz)
> Also reads			none

I believe we can read Red Hat RPMs as well.  Can anyone confirm?

> Network services
> # DCE				yes?

DCE is not yet available.  Jim Doyle <jrd@bu.edu> is working on FreeDCE,
which is DCE for Linux and FreeBSD.  The Linux version works reasonably
well, from what I understand, but the FreeBSD variant is still in
progress and should be available shortly.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                 Bureaucrats cut red tape -- lengthwise.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com