Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:43:27 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ** How to add second SCSI disk ? **

I am very dissapointed: Adding second SCSI disk drive to the FreeBSD system
seems to be very complicated!

I did first try the installation floppy: Everyting seems to go fine, execpt
the fact that I could not get the installation to write the fdisk and
partition data into the disk. I had to go to fdisk + disklabel etc. and it
is really oldfashioned and complicated. The installation is writing the
data only after software instalation, but I do not have any need to FreeBSD
software on my second disk. And installation does not install if I do not
have root (and swap?) on the new disk.

Is one solution to make new disk with root partition only and install some
minimal system on it?

I did look for FAQ:s and the FreeBSD Documentation project. No help with
the problem! The DocProject has nothing on the WWW-page:

"9.2. * Adding and reconfiguring disks"
"http://freefall.freebsd.org/How/handbook/handbook-65.html#88"

1. Why does not the installation (fdisk and disklabel) have a W command to
force the data to the disk.

2. How is it possible that this is not a FAQ?

Seppo

PS. There was some Linux users looking over my shoulder, they had really fun.

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !