Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:18:56 +0000
From:      slamdunk <slamdunk@neophile.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple IPs and domains on the same box

Hi

I am new to list and have a couple of questions that I hope someone might
help me with - If this is not appropriate for this list please let me know,
or advise me off list.

Background
I have a hosted box where I work which is xxx.xxx.xxx.17 which resolves to
xxxxxxxxx.net - I am also the owner of xxxxxxxxx.org and have been assigned
xxx.xxx.xxx.17 for use with it. I also do my own DNS and have friends box
do secondary DNS.

I can use both the domains from the same box (with a single IP) using the
following entry from named.conf :-

zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost.rev";
};

zone "neophile.net" {
         type master;
         file "pri/net/neo.net";
};

zone "darkcyde.org" {
         type master;
         file "pri/org/dark.org";
};

I now wish to use each domain using diffierent IPs (the current .7 for
neophile.net and the new .17 for darkcyde.org) on the same box. I
understand this is possible (and in fact this is how "bouncers" work) I
have asked our service provider to update their RDNS records to reflect
that .17 should resolve to "the.darkcyde.org"

Can anyone advise me please how to set this up - or at least point me in
the right direction for further info.

Much appreciated

Jerry
slamdunk@neophile.net