Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:30:57 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <lchen@briontech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Tor.Egge@cvsup.no.freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Raising KVA_PAGES breaks linux emulation?

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > Now, when I did this the first time, I got a bunch of thread issues, so
> > Tor sent me a patch (included in previous email) to fix it in libc_r ...
> > does the linux module make use of KVA_PAGES as defined in the kernel
> > config file, or do I have to change KVA_PAGES in /sys/i386/include/pmap.h
> > for the modules to recognize the change?
> >
> KVA_PAGES if defined in config goes to opt_global.h and I don't think
> module builds uses this file. You may put it in make.conf if you don't
> want to mess with pmap.h

Okay, is there any good documentation on raising KVA_PAGES?  The only
thing I've found is in LINT, and it mentioned nothing about setting it
anywhere but in the kernel config :(

For instance, since setting KVA_PAGES in the kernel config doesn't cover
everything, and, as I've experienced so far, causes some serious problems,
would it be better to suggest that someone sets it in make.conf?  From a
quick perusal of /etc/defaults/make.conf, my guess is that I'd have to
set:

COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe -DKVA_PAGES=512
-and-
CFLAGS= -O -pipe -DKVA_PAGES=512

Will that cover it all, or is there a problem with doing it that way?  Or
is there a better way of doing this?