Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:50:21 +0200
From:      Mithrandi <mithrandi@mithrandi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with nmap (libpcap probably)

On compiling nmap (various version, including the latest beta) and running
it, I quickly discovered that it does not function properly against
anything except localhost - everything appears dead to it, and it receives
no reply of any kind from any host. To check if it was simply the hosts I
was testing against, I downloaded and ran tcpdump (which also uses
libpcap). The situation is this: If I run tcpdump with no filter (ie. no
parameters) I get the normal display. If I specify any filter of any kind,
the filter works properly, but absolutely NO incoming packets are display
WHATSOEVER.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? (I'm using a PPP connection over a modem)

Mithrandi
(NB: I am not subscribed to freebsd-questions)