Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:18:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how "reformat" DLT IV tape from 20/40 to 40/80?

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just got a new taper, an HP DLT VS80. We previously had an Adic, 20/40. The
> use the same type of tapes, DLT IV. Now, I want to keep using some of the
> old tapes, but the HP won't write to them, and I believe that is because
> they are just 20/40 GB, not 40/80 GB. I found some info saying that the
> first time a tape is used, the taper writes info about the density (or sets
> the density somehow).

VS80 is NO "full-featured" DLT IV tape. You can only write to tapes
previously written by a VS80 or that are blank (new or _correctly_ degaussed).

For a more detailed description (please see this link:
http://quantum.broaddaylight.com/quantum_support/FAQ_33_4717.shtm

> I use FreeBSD, so I expect mt(1) should somehow be able to perform the
> trick.

no; it's not a matter of trick. It simply cannot work.
VS80 != DLT IV and that's it. HP wants to make extra money from you ;)

> Any ideas how to fix this?

buy a DLT IV tape drive, degauss your tapes or buy new tapes.

sorry to say there aren't many other possibilities.

--
Greetings