Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:14:54 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> BTW, you haven't answered my question:  Which "IE specific tags" am I using?
> The pages validate as correct, standard HTML, which would necessarily
> exclude any IE-specific code.

Unbalanced tags (e.g open table element with no close tag).  Automatic
tag balancing being implied by the browser for all tags is an SGML
feature; the HTML tag implied balancing is not true for all tags,
according to the specification, amking the behaviour "undefined",
rather thna "standard".

> > Yet, you post things designed to drive controversy ...
>
> I compel people to defend unsubstantiated opinions.  People who cannot
> substantiate their opinions tend to think of that as "driving controversy"
> or "being difficult" or think of it in any one of a dozen other negative
> ways, but that is just rationalization.

Luckily, the vast majority of my opinions are substantiated, and
in the rare cases they are not, I have no problem defending them
(usually on the basis of Occam's Razor, and the fact that light
bulbs work).

> Most visitors are first-time visitors.  On extremely rare occasions, someone
> still saddled with Netscape 4.x has asked why my pages display as a jumble
> on her screen, and I've suggested that she upgrade to Netscape 6.x (if she
> absolutely must stick with Netscape) or better still, to MSIE or possibly
> Opera.

I'd be happy to install IE for FreeBSD, if it weren't for the
monopolistic practices which have precluded it from being ported.
I would even run it under Linux emulation, if need be.

[ ... comments on the marginal utility of UNIX desktops ... ]

Which begs the question of why you post to these lists, which are
not specifically intended for Windows advocacy...

-- Terry