Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:07:22 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PSE/PAE support

Reading some documents and sources I came to the following conclusion:

We support 4 Kbyte pages and 4 Mbyte pages, but we do not support 2
Mbyte pages.  On IA-32 at least.

Is there a reason to?

I could understand that some people would prefer 2 Mbyte pages in some
situations.  But looking at pmap.c I see we only test CPUID_PSE and
don't use CPUID_PAE anywhere.

Since pmap.c is in a MD location it wouldn't be hard to extend the code
to do this.

Would this needlessly complicate a lot of things in our code?  i could
envision that our VM and related code should be usable no matter what
the page size is.  This will certainly improve future ports to new
architectures with different page sizes.

Are there even more arguments in favor or against?

I'd like to hear some thoughts. :)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands