Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:34:04 -0700
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

On Jun 4, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> But given that 6.3 is still experiencing bugs with things that are
>> working fine and stable in 6.2, this is a pretty hard case to make.
>
> I admit to not having been following 6.x too closely, but are these
> things that have been reported, or problems you're having personally?

I go into the hardware and questions list and search for the hardware
devices we use, and see problem reports.  I see associated bugs,
unclosed.  I set aside upgrade for later ;-)

>> This is also a fairly significant investment in terms of time and
>> money for any business to handle this ugprade.
>
> Having an upgrade path is something every operation needs. "Set it
> and forget it" isn't a viable strategy in the current culture where
> 0-day vulnerabilities are becoming increasingly common.

Absolutely not saying that.   In fact, we had 6.3 upgrade on the books
for April but when I looked in April there were still open bugs.  I
looked in late May and saw the same.  So we punted to late June
(because the original end of life was June 30th) and then suddenly
we're getting messages every night saying that we're unsupported.

So we're staying unsupported until 6.3 stabilizes obviously.  That
sucks.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness