Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:20:25 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        maillist@coastsight.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise IDE RAID Support

>Does anybody know if and when, if ever, the Promise IDE RAID will ever
>work properly in FreeBSD?

Well, in a way it does now.
With the exception of Promise's new RAID 5 controllers (which suck, BTW),
Promise RAID controllers like the FastTrak are all just software RAID. You
can use VINUM, a FreeBSD software RAID tool, to accomplish the exact same
thing without the need for special controllers (normal Promise ones work
fine).

If you absolutely must use those controllers though, you can probably flash
them with the FlashROM from the normal Promise IDE controllers and use them
with Vinum.

Note that Promise's RAID, being software, has no speed advantage over
FreeBSD's software RAID... In fact I am willing to bet that it is measurable
slower knowing the quality of code in FreeBSD.

Promises "hardware RAID" solution, at least in RAID 5 (IMO the most useful
RAID level) is usually slower than a single hard disk, thus the only
advantages are fault tolerance and a bigger partition. There is another
company that makes IDE RAID5 controllers that do the RAID processing in
hardware (thus freeing up the CPU from doing the same) that not only don't
suck--they also support Linux. I am unsure if they work in FreeBSD though.

Hope this helps.

Charles Burns