Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:38:11 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Daniel A." <ldrada@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Michael A. Alestock" <michaela@maa-net.net>
Subject:   RE: IP Banning (Using IPFW)

You missed to whole meaning.
Attackers only scan for the published service port numbers,
that is what is meant by "portscan the box".
Those high order port numbers are dynamically
used during normal session conversation.
So any response from those port numbers if an
attacker scanned that high would be meaningless.
Please check your facts before commenting.