Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:12:50 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>, matt <matt@bluemoon.27south.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Issues And Iso Images

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 08:04:27PM -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Mark Rowlands wrote:
>
> > 9) cd /usr/src
> >
> > make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL \
>
> I don't want to confuse the issue... but I have "an issue" 8-) . Aren't
> you building your kernel against old libs? IMHO you want to do your
> buildworld, then drop to single-user (you can't install a running binary),
> do your installworld, then buildkernel, then installkernel, so that your
> new kernel is built against the newly installed libraries.

Nope, make buildkernel will use the libraries in /usr/obj that were
built by the previous buildworld.
builworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld  is the correct
sequence.
You might want to drop into single user mode before the installworld
but as long as the system is quiet that isn't necessary.

> Also, if you are running securelevel > 0, then you *must* reboot
> and come up in single user to replace any chflagged binaries.

Correct.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson