Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:13:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        bob@veznat.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, m.jakeman@lancaster.ac.uk, nslay@comcast.net
Subject:   Re: IPv6 Ideas

> To my knowledge this wasn't around when the Kame guys were working on this
> stuff. I don't think a lot of time has been spent updating the v6 support
> applications since then and that's why we don't have this feature.
>
> This isn't a big deal in dual-stack networks because the clients just do DNS
> over v4 with whatever the DHCP server gave. In a pure-v6 world... In
> hindsight it's an obvious oversight that it wasn't included in the first
> place.

Not necessarily just oversight, also politics. IPv6 RA can't give you
DNS info (without the addition you mentioned), and DHCPv6 can't give
you a default route. Both pretty bad, actually.	It looks like we may
get a default route option for DHCPv6 now, but there's still a lot of
resistance against it.