Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:42:18 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

>> (Incidentally, removing the syscons driver causes a sig12, page fault
>> while in kernel mode when one continues booting)).

Oops, switching from sc0/pcvt to a serial console is currently broken.

When the highest priority console device is disabled (or a higher priority
one is disabled) the next highest priority one is supposed to take over.
If all console devices are disabled, you are supposed to get what you
asked for - no console device.

Only a few devices support consoles (this is a bug).  Their priorities
are:

	syscons
	pcvt
	sio0

>You can blame(?) Bruce for that; he insisted on being able to have both
>syscons and pcvt in the same kernel so it had to be possible to disable
>them.  I don't like it for exactly the reason you've noted.

It should be possible to disable any driver.  It is possible to disable
any isa driver.

Bruce