Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:24:26 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        Thakingfish <thakingfish@hal3000.cx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dnetc in FBSD

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:31:26AM -0600, Alex Charalabidis wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Thakingfish wrote:
>=20
> > Hi,
> > whats this all about?
> >
> > Revision 1.20 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Sun Jan 21
> > 00:48:20 2001 UTC (7 hours, 49 minutes ago) by kris
> > Branch: MAIN
> > CVS Tags: HEAD
> > Changes since 1.19: +2 -1 lines
> > Diff to previous 1.19 (colored)
> > Mark FORBIDDEN; local buffer overflows yielding user nobody.
> >=20
> Looking at the Makefile, it appears that dbaker himself marked
> it. Straight from the horse's mouth, though the horse doesn't seem to have
> told anyone anything so far... I'm sure it'll get its fair share of
> publicity soon enough.

No, it was me ("kris" :-). It means what it says; the dnetc client is
installed setuid nobody, and I discovered that it has locally
exploitable buffer overflows which can be used to gain the privileges
of that user. On many systems the nobody user actually has ownership
of some files, etc, and may even be used to run services (the apache
ports are a prime offender here), so this is a potential security risk
on those systems.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy--