Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:13:58 +1000
From:      freebsd-stable@auscert.org.au
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X applications crashing under 5.3BETA7 and X.org

> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 10:13 +1000, freebsd-stable@auscert.org.au wrote:
> > I have a problem with applications crashing. Xterm will launch and run ok,
> > but any attempt to mouse select text will cause an immediate crash with
> > this output on the console:
> >
> > xterm:  warning, error event received:
> > X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
> >   Atom id in failed request:  0x17f
> >   Serial number of failed request:  131
> >   Current serial number in output stream:  133
> >

> Hi,
>
> this isn't a Xorg issue it's just a X11 forwarding issue.
> Newer OpenSSH versions don't use trusted X11 forwarding by default which
> results in the above error if you try to cut & paste.
> Just use trusted X11 forwarding and all should be fine.
>
> Either ssh -Y server-hostname or add "ForwardX11Trusted yes" to your ssh
> config file.
>

> --
>   Sascha

Thanks, Sascha. Works perfectly now. I'd never even heard of trusted X11
forwarding before...

-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert@auscert.org.au