Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:36:20 -0500
From:      Bob Hall <rjhjr@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient: send_packet: Permission denied

I keep getting the message
	dhclient: send_packet: Permission denied

I try
	sockstat | grep dhclient
and get
	root     dhclient   247   4  udp4   *:68                  *:*
	root     dhclient   247   6  dgram  -> /var/run/log

I utter
	psgrep dhclient
and get
	root 247 0.0 1.0 1812 1284 ?? Ss 2:13PM 0:00.26 /sbin/dhclient rl0

I've tried setting up special rules in the firewall to catch the
dhclient packets, and the firewall doesn't seem to be stopping them. The
ipfw rules to pass the packets are
	allow udp from any 68 to 255.255.255.255 dst-port 67 out via rl0
	allow udp from any 67 to 255.255.255.255 dst-port 68 in via rl0
"ipfw show" doesn't register any packets even when dhclient is
complaining about not being able to send packets.

I can get an IP address, no problem. From the messages log:
	dhclient: New IP Address (rl0): <ip address>
	dhclient: New Subnet Mask (rl0): 255.255.254.0
	dhclient: New Broadcast Address (rl0): <ip broadcast address>
	dhclient: New Routers: <ip router address>
But even with this, I'm still getting the Permissin denied message.

The messages log also includes this:
	dhclient: Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
	dhclient: Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
	dhclient: running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
	dhclient: bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
	dhclient: are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
	dhclient: includes a bootp server.
In addition to the system generating these messages on its own, I can
also prod it into generating them by uttering
	dhclient rl0
I'm not running HP JetAdmin software, and the dhclient setup is
perfectly stock. I haven't installed any additional DHCP software. I'm
not running a DHCP server. The only DHCP configuration I've done is in
the rc.conf file:
	ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
I'm not using inetd.

This has been a problem starting with FBSD 4.4 through 4.8. and with my
current system, 5.2.1. I'll upgrade to 5.3 in a month or so when I have
the time, but the problem seems to occur on all versions.

I've searched the archives and Googled extensively, and I can find
messages from other people with the same problem, but I haven't found a
solution.

It seems as though a second copy of dhclient is firing up and tryng to
bind to port 68, and getting blocked by the existing copy of dhclient.
Anybody have a clue what's going on, or why that would be happening?