Date:      Sat, 05 May 2001 13:34:07 -0400
From:      "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinModem --but which is which?

a week ago, Kevin karped
 > Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:04:50 -0400
> > From: "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>

> > I have an A21p thinkpad coming tomorrow with the ethernet/modem combo.
> > Is this one of the usable ones?  IBM's pages refer to the "miniPCI"
> > modem, which seems to be something separate.

> > Or someone *could* tell me that that one has a real modem, but I'm not
> > holding my breath :)

> I don't know for sure, but from the looks of things, it's probably a
> Lucent WinModem. It might be an IBM mWave, but I don't think that they
> are still using it in new models.

> If it is a Lucent, the port of the LinModem code to FreeBSD might well
> work, but until we get some reports of success or failure, there is no
> way to know for sure.

Windows claims it's a Xircom. Is this doable? does it need a Guinnea
pig? Why isn't my spellcheck working? *sigh*

Anyway, I've tossed together a page for this model at

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/r/e/reh18/A21p/A21p.html

and will include whatever information I can come up with.  I'll even
toss whatever in the kernel file.

Hmm, maybe a meta-package with dependendencies owuld be a good idea . .
.

Anyway, if someone can step me through the paces, I'll figure out
whether this thing can work or not and post the information.

p.s.  This model is *cool*

It's 40 seconds from power on to xdm login screen, and what a screen .
. .

hawk