Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:00:17 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Funny ipnat ipf problem

Hi All,

Being up for about 6 months, happy filtering my ipf/ipnat setup suddenly
did weird things. After I reloaded my ruleset, it seemed that the order
of which packets get past these programs was switched.

A very simpel test setup was this:
ipf.rules
block in log on ed2
pass out on ed2 from any to any flags S keep state
pass in on ed2 from any to any port = 80 flags S keep state
ipnat.rules
map ed2 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp
map ed2 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp auto
map ed2 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0/32
rdr ed2 0.0.0.0/0 port 22 -> 192.168.0.5 port 80

which flooded my logs with denied packets to 192.168.x.x.
I tried to flush and reload my original nat and ipf ruleset, but still this
odd behavior. After a reboot, the machine was back in shape. I'm curious;
What happened?
The logs don't show anything strange, except for the sudden appearance of
blocked packets to 192.168.x.x.

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers