Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 13:00:46 +0900
From:      Bull TORS <pwd8jmr22w@me.point.ne.jp>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using kdm, shell script to declare my locales and startups...

Hi,

I am using kdm and I have a ".profile" in my $HOME that contains the following
declarations:
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP;			export LC_CTYPE
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP; 			export LC_ALL
LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP.eucJP; 		export LC_MESSAGES
LC_MONETARY=ja_JP.eucJP; 		export LC_MONETARY
LC_NUMERIC=ja_JP.eucJP; 		export LC_NUMERIC
LC_TIME=ja_JP.eucJP; 			export LC_TIME
LC_COLLATE=ja_JP.eucJP; 		export LC_COLLATE
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP; 				export LANG
MM_CHARSET=eucJP; 			export MM_CHARSET
LANGUAGE=ja_JP.eucJP;	 		export LANGUAGE
XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'; 		export XMODIFIERS
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -canna -xim &

When I use these settings in ".profile", I have no problems...Some of my
Japanese-Characters written files are shown properly and I can use kinput2 to
input Japanese Characters with just a little problem.  That problem is when I
use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to access a console then it says an error
that /usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2is already running...
This prompted me to read the kdm help and I have read in the kdm help that
when someone logs using kdm, the shell script Xsession is executed.
So I copied the settings about to my .xsession (is what I know) and .Xsession
(is what is written in the kde help)...I tried both settings and also
".xinitrc but I can no longer input Japanese Characters (kinput2 is not
executed during login) and my Japanese-Character written files appeared
garbled...
So, am I right in using .profile or do I have to create another text file that
kdm knows?  Any help or advice would be really appreciated...

Bull TORS