Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:11:02 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        kwythers@umn.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.7->5.0, ran out of space on /

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> I just ran into a problem trying to install the 5.0 world. I thought I
> checked and had 30M free on / before I started this. However, after
> building, the world, building the kernel, installing the kernel, running
> mergemaster -p, I went to install the world and got the error 'out of
> space on /'
>
> I need to find some room, but I'm a little nervous about what I can rm.
> Here is what I'm looking at:
>
> 1)       / partition is 79M, 64M are used (I was almost sure there was
> more room than that on / before I satarted).
> 2)       /tmp is on it's own partition
> 3)       du -h on subdirectories breakdown like this.
> 	a.       18M /boot
> 	b.       1.4M /etc
> 	c.       3.7M /kernel
> 	d.       3.9M /kern.GENERIC
> 	e.       6M /modules
> 	f.         21M /sbin
> 	g.       2.1M /stand
>
> as you can see that pretty much accounts for it. The rest of the stuff
> is pretty small.
>
> I need to know if I can delete any of this stuff and still successfully
> do a 'make installworld'?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kirk
>
> Ps... sorry about cross posting (I wasn't sure if 5-release qualified
> for the stable list)

/boot is something you need to keep since the kernel and the kernel
modules have all been moved to /boot in 5.0
/etc should stay too
/kernel
/kernel.GENERIC
/modules can all be deleted since these are now in /boot
/sbin
/stand
should stay

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin