Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:54:04 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Julien Gabel" <jpeg@thilelli.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't *write* to a hard disk, not even a slice using fdisk(8).

On Sunday 11 April 2004 07:15, Julien Gabel wrote:

> I want to say that it is a mirror created with a hardware HighPoint HPT=
374
> (channel 2+3) UDMA133 controller ; not created using software, like vin=
um
> for example.
>
> >> - But when I tried to create a slice on it, I get:
> >>   # fdisk -BI ad10
> >>   ******* Working on device /dev/ad10 *******
> >>   fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Operation not permitted

> There is no partition mounted on it because the miror is actually breac=
k,
> so this disk is totally not used at this time.
>
> Before that, a /home was mounted on the device corresponding to the mir=
ror,
> i.e. /dev/ar1 (which was made from /dev/ad8 + /dev/ad10). Actually, and
> because I had some activity on this machine, I made the /home partition
> available under the /dev/ad8 device alone, which is the other identical
> disk which previously formed the mirror and works like a charm.

I take it that you are still trying to manage ad10 through the RAID capab=
le
controller.

No real information but I would guess the controller is still seeing=20
information on the drive ad10 which ties it in with some other disk for R=
AID.

If you have a regular on board ATA interface I'd try plugging the drive i=
n=20
there (you can do it with all other drives removed for safety) and then t=
ry=20
to initialise using an installation CD. If that works I imagine you can p=
ut
every thing back in your prefered configuration and continue.

Malcolm