Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 23:56:58 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: 6 days to C-DAY

After more than a year of development, the Common Access Method SCSI layer
for FreeBSD will be integrated into 3.0-current on Sunday, September 13th.
The CAM development team is currently busy ensuring that the integration
process goes as smoothly as possible, so please understand that we may be
slow to respond to questions about CAM in the days leading up to C-DAY.
A CAM FAQ is in the works and will be updated as questions surface.  Here
are a few QandAs about CAM and the upcoming integration:

--
Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
Kenneth D. Merry <ken@kdm.org>

Which SCSI cards will be supported?

	Adaptec 27/28/29/394x
		- This includes most Adaptec 78xx based chips integrated
		  on motherboards.
	Adaptec 154X
	Adaptec 174X
	AdvanSys Narrow Controllers
	Buslogic Multimaster Series
	NCR 8XX
	DPT
	QLogic ISP 1020, 1040, 2100
	Zip ppbus device

Why isn't my card in the supported hardware list??!!

	Developing a reliable and robust driver for a SCSI controller
	takes a considerable amount of time, and developer time is
	a limited resource.  The CAM development team made a conscious
	decision to pair back the number of controllers supported in our
	initial release in favor of higher quality drivers.  Most of the
	supported drivers went through extensive redesigns to improve
	error recovery, device support, and performance.  We think you'll
	appreciate the difference.

	Just because your device is not currently supported by CAM does
	not mean this will always be the case.  Several additional
	drivers are under development:

	Adaptec 6260/6360  (Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>)
	Ultrastore 24/34F  (Warner Losh <imp@village.org>)
	Advansys UW	   (Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>)

	If your favorite SCSI card isn't supported, and you'd like to
	do something about it, let us know.  We'll support any effort
	to write a driver for an unsupported card and if there is an
	immediate need, we may be able to direct you to	a contractor
	for the work.

Which peripherals are supported?

	da: Direct Access and Optical Disk devices
	cd: CDROM devices and WORM/CD-R/CD-RW drives that accept CDROM commands
	ch: Changer devices
	sa: Sequential Access devices
	pt: Processor Target devices
	targ: Target Mode Processor Target emulator
	pass: Application Pass-Thru (All Device Types)

Where did the "od" driver go?

	The "od" driver functionality is now handled by the direct
	access ("da") driver.  The da driver handles removable media,
	multiple of 512b block sizes, and automatically attachs to
	optical disk devices.

Why are disks now called "da" and tapes called "sa"?
I now have to change all of my scripts/fstab entries/whatever!

	The names were changed to be more consistent with the
	SCSI standards and to better indicate the scope of devices
	each driver supports.  For example, "direct access" driver supports
	memory, optical, and disk devices.

	The impact on system configuration is limited.  The system accesses
	devices my their major and minor number and, with the exception of
	the removal of the od device, these have not been changed.
	If it suits you better to call "da" devices by the name "sd",
	simply create your device nodes with that name.  /dev/MAKEDEV
	will continue to support building of nodes by the old names
	for some time to come.