Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:15:14 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Broadcasting a UDP packet on the LAN:URGENT

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 03:43 PM, Barney Wolff wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:23:57PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
>>> What are you going to do when IPv6 comes into more general use, =
since
>>> it has no broadcast address?
>>
>> Are you asking what a IPv4-to-IPv6 translator (like gif?) should do, =20=

>> or
>> are you worried about the case of a machine configured for IPv6 only
>> and not for IPv4?  I expect that most people will be using IPv4 for
>> quite some time; we don't have to do something for the IPv6-only case
>> to still have this be useful.
>
> My expectation is the same as yours, but I strongly believe that
> anyone doing a new design that deliberately ignores IPv6 is being very
> shortsighted.  "Quite some time" is now only years, not decades.

There are people using IPv6 now, certainly.  There are also a number of =20=

possible opinions with regard to the utility of IPv6-- whether IPv6 can =20=

solve problems sufficiently better than IPv4 (or IPv4 plus NAT, =20
particularly) as to make IPv6-only networks a reasonable alternative to =20=

existing IPv4 networks is an open question.

Perhaps I am being shortsighted in my focus on IPv4, but I don't think =20=

that I am ignoring IPv6 so much as concluding that IPv4 all-ones =20
broadcast doesn't need to have a precise cognomen in the realm of IPv6 =20=

to still be useful.  No doubt the kind and friendly people on this list =20=

will continue to point out any major bits of stupidity or =20
shortsightedness on my part in the future.  :-)

>> Multicast and broadcast addressing are working at layer-3, but the
>> point of using VLAN tags is to create logically 'seperate' networks
>> where the flow of traffic is being handled/segregated at layer-2 =20
>> rather
>> than layer-3.
>
> VLANs are meant to allow segregating a physical switch into multiple
> logical switches.

That's the primary usage, certainly.  You can use VLAN tags on a =20
non-switched environment, however, just as you can send packets for =20
more than one IP subnet over the same physical cabling.

> VLAN tagging is used on inter-switch trunks, so
> that multiple logical switches can be connected by a single physical
> circuit.  In either case, whether the switch *itself* (that is, its
> management interface) is on a particular VLAN depends on whether it
> has a level-3 address on that VLAN, at least in the normal case that
> a VLAN corresponds to an IP subnet.

The switches I have experience with-- 3com Superstack 2 and 3 family, =20=

and Cisco equivalents-- implement VLAN membership on a per-port basis =20=

via 802.1Q tagging of the packets (which can be used for hosts and not =20=

just switches), as well as inter-switch connectivity (what 3com calls =20=

VLT for Virtual LAN Trunk).

> Since we're talking here of sending IP packets, that reasoning would =20=

> seem to apply.  (For level 2 purposes such as spanning tree, of course =
=20
> the switch is "on" every
> configured VLAN.)

Things aren't always as simple-- please see page 201 of the following =20=

document:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/switches/s_stack2/1695/=20
manual.a01/manage.pdf

"Figure 50 shows a network containing VLANs 1 and 2, and they are
connected using the 802.1Q-tagged link between Switch B and Switch C.
By default, this link has a path cost of 100 and is automatically =20
blocked
because the other Switch-to-Switch connections have a path cost of 36
(18+18). This means that both VLANs are now subdivided =97 VLAN 1 on
Switch units A and B cannot communicate with VLAN 1 on Switch C, and
VLAN 2 on Switch units A and C cannot communicate with VLAN 2 on
Switch B.

[ ...diagram unrepresentable in ASCII... ]

To avoid any VLAN subdivision, we recommend that all connections
carrying traffic for multiple VLANs have a lower path cost than those
carrying traffic for single VLANs. You can do this in two ways:

1=01 Using connections that have a higher bandwidth (which, by default,
have a lower path cost)
2=01 Lowering the path cost of the connections using a Network
Management application"

>> The all-ones broadcast is supposed to go to all physically connected
>> network segments, regardless of whether a particular interface is
>> ifconfig'ured with an IP that is part of a particular layer-3 subnet.
>> You should be able to send the broadcast packet out from an interface
>> which is up but does not have an IPv4 address assigned, right?
>
> In what sense are you using "supposed" - required by some standard,
> or simply what you'd like to have happen?  If the former, please point
> to the standard.  Sending a packet out from an interface with no IP
> address assigned leads immediately to the question of what source IP
> address to use, and how a responder knows where to send its response.

They might use a source IP that starts with 169.254, per technologies =20=

called Rendevous at Apple, or "zero configuration" (Microsoft).

http://www.zeroconf.org has IETF drafts which discuss this, and might =20=

also explain my interest in bootstrapping a network without necessarily =20=

having host network interfaces explicitly configured with valid IPs.

> Among other things, the thing at the other end of the cable from a
> port using VLAN tagging may not approve of a frame sent
> with no tag (although cisco's can be configured with a default VLAN
> for that case).

Agreed, using a VLAN tag of 0 or 1 which represents the "default VLAN".

--=20
-Chuck