Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:00:06 -0800
From:      alex@comsys.com
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chroot

Adrian,

I'm sorry, "to the man with a hammer everything appears a nail."

My solution does not address your telnet problem. We recently
fixed a chroot problem with ftp, and not telnet. My mistake.

We never allow any telnet access to our system for the
general customer, so the telnet part of your message didn't register.

There was an 'rsh' or restricted shell a while back... I don't
see it on our recent systems though. Trial and error using
.profile, .login, .cshrc, or globals for csh shell,
/etc/csh.cshrc /etc/.csh.login might help.

-Alex

Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>         I can find reference to /etc/ftpchroot, but not /etc/chroot.
> Could you give me a pointer to the proper manpage?  I cann't find one that
> mentions it.
>
> thanks,
>
>         Adrian
>
> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 alex@comsys.com wrote:
>
> > Put him in /etc/chroot, create a ~usr/bin/date ~usr/bin/ls, ls and
> > date should have the same perms as the ~ftp/bin versions. Else
> > recompile ftpd with internal support for ls and date.
> >
> >  Alex
> >

> > Charlie & wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a customer who is somewhat objectionable to some of my other
> > > customers.  How do I use chroot to automatically set a users root directory to
> > > his home directory everytime they telnet in?  Do I create a file (ie:ush) that
> > > executes the chroot command then the shell program (ie: /bin/sh) then change
> > > all of my users to use the new shell (ush)?  Is there a better way?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Eddie
> >

>         Adrian
> --
> adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
> System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,
> Neurosurgical Visualzation Lab -->>| it would be FreeBSD.  Think about it.....
> http://www.nvl.virginia.edu/     ->|      http://www.freebsd.org/
1111111