Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:31:33 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports installing files in /usr/X11R6/share/aclocal/

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 12:09:35PM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:

> Tell that to audio/timidity++-xaw, comms/hylafax, ftp/moxftp,
> graphics/xmovie, mail/faces, mail/smtpd, mail/xfaces, mail/zmailer,
> net/ivs, net/xisp, x11-wm/gwm, etc.

Oops :)  Can I blame it on the really weird weather outside?

That means all of these ports are not PREFIX-safe though, which
is a bad thing.  At the moment, for example, all of the core GNOME
ports can be built with, for example:

	env PREFIX=/local/build make all install

and they'll all go to the "right" place (under /local/build), rather
than being scattered around everywhere.

Especially with mega-ports such as KDE and GNOME, it's becoming
increasingly more difficult to determine where the ports should
install themselves (/usr/X11R6 vs /usr/local) and issues such
as this one (aclocal) only serve to confuse things even more.

For example, a substantial portion of the ports you mentioned
can be "fixed" by me re-rooting all of GNOME under /usr/local
(following KDE's lead) even though some parts of it link
against against X11 libraries (and thus should be in /usr/X11R6).

Which one is right?  (That's an honest question, I'd really like
to know).

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.