Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:32:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bnelson715@hotmail.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multi-Booting With Windows XP Pro

> Deoes anyone have any experience getting FreeBSD to multi-boot with Windows
> XP Pro?  Am using XP Pro SP2 and FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE.  I installed the
> boot manager but everytime I reboot it boots straight to XP.  Any help would
> be appreciated.

I have Xp pro and FreBSD 4.9 RELEASE running on my office desk machine.
No Problem.  Works fine.

You need the MBR on the disk and a boot record on both slices.  I am sure
that the XP slice has its boot record OK because you say it is booting.\
But I would suspect that your FreeBSD slice does not.

Presuming you used the sysinstall to create the disk slice and partitions
probably you selected to install the MBR on that page, but forgot to
mark the slice as bootable in the page where you created the slice and
told it to be a FreeBSD slice.    It is a little obscure if you are not
looking for it.   I seem to remember you have to hit an 's' to tell it
to make it bootable, though I might have the character wrong.  It tells
you in the help menu at the bottom of that page.

When the system boots, the MBR looks for bootable slices and if you did
not select to make the FreeBSD slice bootable, it will ignore it and not
put up a menu item for it.  If there is only one bootable slice (eg
your XP slice in this case) and none other, then it won't even bother
putting up a boot selection menu.  It will just boot in to the only
slice it knows is bootable.

////jerry