Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:58:47 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Knowing a route multiply.

We have a problem.  We have more than one router routing for a
subnet.  We use Quaaga (zebra's follow-on) and OSPF to keep everything
in sync.  And everything is fine if all the interfaces are configured
at boot time (before quaaga starts up).

The problem occurs if you want to add a routed network.  First you add
the interface on router A.  When you do this, OSPF dutifully
recognises this and distributes the route throughout the network
... including router B.

Then you go to router B and attempt to ifconfig the interface.  It
fails because the route already exists in router B.  You can't delete
the route because OSPF will add it right back.

This works on Linux ... and fails miserably on FreeBSD.  I would like
to change this behaviour to either a) replace the route with the
interface route or b) know two routes for a destination and choose
one.

a) is obviously easier ... but may be troublesome (the same reason the
route delete doesn't work may be an issue).

b) is obviously more work, but leads us down a road to more useful
things (like equal cost multipath).

Is anyone working in this direction?  Does anyone have strong
opinnions?

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |