Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:55:29 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
Cc:        Rozhuk Ivan <rozhuk.im@gmail.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke@SerNet.DE>
Subject:   Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:14:23 +0100 Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> w=
rote:
> Rozhuk Ivan wrote in <20181231221030.6471937e@rimwks>:
>  |On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:07:38 +0100
>  |Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke@SerNet.DE> wrote:
>  |> Not being involved in FreeBSD but in Samba, I could see a migration =
of
>  |> parts of Samba to Rust if it had a Rust->C translator. I think for
>  |> FreeBSD base components similar arguments would apply. You could shi=
>  |> the C output for the platforms that don't have native Rust.
>  |Rust is modern geeks toy by mozilla.
>  |Just waste ot time, without any real profits.
>
> I vote for Nim (former Nimrod is no more).

So do I but it doesn't make sense to add any new language to
the base system without having a number of absolutely
essential programs written in that language that must also be
included in the base system. Even at that point, using any
such language for writing kernel code is madness. There are
millions of lines of C kernel code which are not going to
benefit in any way from the new language. Remember that except
for drivers the kernel is essentially a single binary. GC
becomes much less of an issue for user programs.

I'd rather see a much smaller base, with pkg install for
various typical user types.