Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:01:21 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Vittorio <v.demartino2@virgilio.it>
Subject:   Re: Defining a new slice

On Thursday 17 February 2005 07:08 am, Vittorio wrote:
> As a newbie I can create a new FreeBSD UFS partition/slice by means
> of sysinstall (by the way, I installed freeBSD 5.3).
> Now recently I freed some partitions devoted to M$ Windows (at last!)
> and I want to transform them into UFS partitions.
>
> How can I do it from a console?
> Could you point me to an explanatory web-page I was unable to find
> googling?
>
> A step by step explanation would be highly apptreciated.
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio

Good news:  You can still use sysinstall from the console after
installation.  As root, execute '/stand/sysinstall'.  Select 'Index'
from the menu.  From there you can select various administrative tasks,
including the creating partitions and disklabel-ing.

Note:  When you created slices and using disklabel during installation,
you entered 'q' to quit rather than 'w' for write.  When doing these
tasks post-installation, you will need to use 'w' for write.
Therefore, be very careful of the changes you make prior to pressing
'w'.

Have fun,

Andrew Gould