Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:12:17 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: emulate an end-of-media

--nextPart2814839.qx05Vb5oxd

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Are there not (at least) two more alternatives?
>
>     1) Add gzip/zlib support to dump.  That would seem easier than
> new devices.  Then -a would just work.
>
>     2) Instead of using cdrecord directly you have a wrapper which
> "emulates" the dump -a behaviour by writing 650/700Mb of data using
> cdrecord then prompting for the next cd.  You don't close the pipe,
> and dump should just block waiting for your "device" to be ready.=20
> Might have trouble accessing /dev/tty - not sure.

The general solution would be nicer, then you could compress & encrypt.

Although I'm not sure it's so simple as adding SIGPIPE because at the=20
end of the media the compressor will be holding some data that it has=20
read but will never make it out to the media..=20

The only way I could think to solve this was to add an argument that=20
specified a pipeline to stick after the data is generated but before=20
it's fed to the output, although even then it gets a bit gnarly..=20

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum